DGP's Letter of Appreciation to Principal MPPS, Golf Links, Mawroh, Shillong
Meghalaya Police Public School (MPPS), Golf Links, Mawroh, Shillong
A Brief Report on the Progress of Meghalaya Police Public School (MPPS) Shillong
Meghalaya Police Public School, Shillong was set up in March 1999 by the Police Wives Association for Care (POWAC).
The School is at present located at the picturesque surrounding of the Police Training School campus adjacent to Golf Links, Shillong.
The POWAC has achieved its benign objective of providing unstinting quality education to children of police personnel through this school. 50% of the seats are being reserved for their children in the annual enrolment for class KG with added concession of 25% to 50% in the tuition fees throughout their schooling at MPPS. However, with effect from this academic session 2010, decision has been taken by the Managing Committee that in the allotment of seats for the class mentioned, first preference is given to police children and remaining seats if any, is offered to general students.
MPPS, a co-educational Day school was granted Provisional Affiliation to the Council for the Indian School Certificate Examination (CISCE), New Delhi with effect from 2nd April 2004 and is at the moment awaiting for Permanent Affiliation to the said Council.
The progress made in the school during the period ever since its inception is as detailed below :-
The school has cumulatively progressed. Initially, in 1999 the school started with the opening of classes KG to IV and had a total enrolment of 67 students only, during the said year. Each subsequent class was opened every year and the first batch of students in class X appeared for the ICSE Examination in the year 2006. At present the total strength is 682 students, inclusive of classes KG to X, having two sections from classes Kg to VIII, with a maximum of 35 students in each section. At present, students are being enrolled annually for Class - KG only.
The number of Teaching Staff has progressively increased since the inception of the school. In this Academic Session 2010, the school has 31 Teachers comprising, the Principal, Vice Principal, 25 trained teachers, 2 Computer teachers, 1 Physical Instructor, and 1 Librarian. The school is being assisted by 8 Non - Teaching staff.
- The school through constant effort and review offers a well - graded, relevant and meaningful curricular and co-curricular activities from classes KG - VIII. At the Pre-Primary and Primary stage, the teaching-learning process is being geared up for the development of language skills, since language is the medium for acquiring knowledge and other skills. Utmost care is being taken to offer effective curriculum which is made to complement academics with values that will help promote a holistic development in each student.Prescribed syllabi in various subjects of examination for the Indian School Certificate Examination (ICSE) is being offered in class IX - X.
- Homework are well-regulated for students, where all written applications are done mostly in the class, thereby leaving ample time for students to review their studies at home.
- A promotional criteria for classes KG to II is non-graded and based on continuous evaluations of classroom performances and worksheets. Appraisal of students from class III - V is being conducted in the form of oral/written tests, worksheets and classrooms performances and reported every half yearly and at the end of the academic session. For classes VI - X, there are two terminal examinations whereby Test papers constitute 80 marks and 20 marks for the Internal Assessment.
- The school takes pride in sending the fifth batch of students for the ICSE Examination 2010.
- The school has been getting a consistent cent percent pass result with distinction in different subjects from the last four batches of students who appeared in the ICSE Examination.
- Games & Sports, Art & Craft, Singing, Eurhythmics, dance Drama, Recitation/Elocution, Extempore Speeches, Debates, Essay/Story and Poetry Writing are the major co-curricular activities carried out within and outside the school timetable. In the school Calendar of Activities planned before each academic session, a special week is kept for holding competitions in Creative Expression. An Annual show and also an exhibition of the students' work is being organized every year. Children are also involved in Scouts and Guides Programmes held regularly within and outside the school.
- Different cultural festivals and events which are eco-friendly, and, are of environmental importance, are being observed and celebrated accordingly in the school as well as an extended participation outside the school. Students have won many awards and prizes while participating in various literary competitions, Sports and creative expression programmes held outside the school and the neighbouring states.
- The school, having now a firm foothold in the educational sphere, forges ahead with a vision to produce academically proficient students, well entrenched in values who can carve out a respectable niche for themselves in the society.
Constantly grappling with the ups and downs, the school stands firm in moulding every child along the line of its Motto - 'Truth and Excellence'