Role of Public in preventing crimes
- During night the doors and windows should be closed after ensuring that they are properly bolted.
- Avoid sleeping near the open windows wearing ornaments.
- Avoid keeping huge amounts of gold ornaments in the house.
- Keep a close watch on strangers visiting the house.
- Alert the neighbours when you leave the house.
- When you are away from the house, please try to avoid daily newspaper, milk packets etc., being deposited outside the house.
- While leaving the car/scooter etc., ensure that it is locked properly and as far as possible avoid keeping valuables in the car, scooter etc.
- Avoid display of gold ornaments in public places.
- Avoid alcoholic drinks while travelling in bus, train, etc. Always keep an eye on your belongings and avoid accepting eatables or drinks offered by strangers.
- When the inmates are away from the house for a longer period, the matter should be informed to the nearest Police Station or Police Control Room.
- Information about criminals, suspicious looking strangers or gangs should be passed on to the police without any loss of time.
- Over hanging projections and branches of trees should be cut off, since it may help the criminals in entering the house.
- Avoid throwing iron implements, rods, etc., in the premises of the house since the same can be used as an implement for house breaking by the criminals.
- Keys of your house, shops, almirahs, bank lockers etc., should be kept safely to avoid mischief.
- Children should not be left alone with valuables or wearing ornaments.
- People should be careful about pick-pockets, thieves etc., in crowded places and while travelling by public transport buses.
- During night, after alighting from buses and taxis, it is always advisable to choose well lit roads rather than dark and narrow lanes or streets.
- Whenever there is a knock at your door, you should always look through the peep hole or try to recognize the voice. Do not open the door for strangers
particularly when your are alone in the house.
- Your cash and valuables are always safe in a bank account or safe-deposit locker. The burglars and dacoits are always in search of cash and ornaments as
they can easily dispose off such property.
- While in transit carry your cash in drafts, cheques and travelers cheque.
- Request for Police escort while carrying large amount of cash, gold etc.
- While in transit do not pick up friendship with strangers and do not accept food articles.
- Do not buy stolen articles.
- Keep telephone numbers of the Police Control Room, the local Police Station and the S.P. handy.
- Immediately inform the Police when an untoward incident takes place. Your timely information may help us in saving precious life and property.
- Constitute committees to oversee security of your area and to co-ordinate with the local Police. We will be more than happy to support your initiative.
Tips for Safeguarding your Property :
- Sighting of any suspicious person must be reported to the nearest Police Station.
- While leaving your home unguarded, inform a neighbour you can trust and also about your whereabouts.
Also inform your Police Station if leaving on a long vacation.
- Sturdy doors, window latches and locks are a must. Also install magic eyes and door chains.
- Install grills on your windows as far as possible.
- If you find anything suspicious about your tenants or neighbours, inform the Police immediately.
- Make a list of all your valuables and keep it safe.
- In case of theft or burglary, inform the Police immediately and do not disturb the scene of crime.