Recognizing that :
- Need to preserve social order led to the emergence of Police as an instrument of social control.
- Police in a democratic polity is an instrumentality of the rule of law.
- Demands on Police for achieving quick results, while dealing with deviance and disorder, are common place.
This Citizen Charter seeks to create awareness about the :
- People's rights and duties vis-a-vis Police.
- Procedure prescribed by the rule of law in combating crime and criminals.
- Constitutional and legal safeguards against arbitrary exercise of powers by Police.